Friday, April 25, 2008

It's not just a bling thing



This week my project was jewelry again, but I promise I will do a variety of crafts for this blog. Anyway, today the Activity Day boys (our ward doesn't have a cub scout program, so I get the girls & boys, however I currently have no girls participating) are coming over. I wanted them to make something nice for Mother's Day so I came up with this simple pearl and birthstone-colored crystal bead bracelet. Each bracelet will be customized with their family members' birthstone colors. Hopefully, the boys will enjoy making them and their mom's will enjoy wearing them. We're also going to make home-made cards and talk about the 2,000 Stripling Warriors and their mothers.


If you're curious to the birthstones I selected to use they are: Garnet, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Diamond, Emerald, Alexandrite, Ruby, Peridot, Sapphire, Tourmaline, Citrine, and Topaz. The spacer crystals are in Opal. I wish I could have found more elegant clasps, but these casual ones will just have to do.


Thank you to Leslie, Natalie, Suzi, and Chris for commenting about my new blog. I drew a name for the Copper Penny jewelry and NATALIE you're the winner! Congrats!
The Activity was a success and I decided to add pictures of the card sample I had the boys make too. Remember, I had 8-11 year old boys in mind so I kept it simple. I just had them write a cute greeting on the front, then on the inside left they put each family member's name and birthdate with coordinating birthstone color beside it, on the inside right they made a bouquet with their family's birthstone colors, and they signed and dated the back. It was a great Activity for me and them, and hopefully their moms will feel special too!

No comments: