Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sci-Fi for Girls





Santa gave me the Uglies, Pretties, and Specials trilogy as stocking stuffers this year, and my friend Lori lent me Extras a spin-off story. These were fun books set in the US 300 years in the future and brought up interesting topics to think about: beauty, the environment, fame, and ultimately control versus freedom. Sometimes I think it would be great to live in a Utopian Society, but then I think- No, I'd rather live in Zion, where everyone chooses to have their hearts as one and no one is forced to.
I really liked Uglies. All of the "pretty-talk" in Pretties drove me a little crazy (I am NOT a teenager anymore). I really did NOT like the Cutters in Specials and I was really sad about Zane, but I liked the ending. Those three books follow the same characters and take place in about one year. Extras is a story that happens 3 years later set in Japan. It was probably my favorite one, but you have to read the first 3 books to understand what's going on. They're light reads, entertaining, and do make you think about some issues.

No comments: